I ran the other day into problem of how to install the vmware tools into Ubuntu. Obviously this how-to is suitable for desktop-grade product – VMWare Workstation 8.0 and I assume that in higher-end products the procedure might be quite different.
So here is a little how-to do it:
1) Boot up the Ubuntu and log-in
2) Right click on tab of your virtual machine and click Install VMware Tools
What it does is – it inserts the VMware tools disc into machine’s virtual drive.
Note: Only in GUI environment. For Terminal installation you have to do:
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
3) Copy the VMwareTools-*.tar.gz file from /media/vmware to a subdirectory of your Documents directory ie. /home/YourProfile/Documents/vmware
4) Unpack using GUI or use Terminal:
tar -xvzf VMwareTools*.tar.gz
5) Enter the unpacked direcotry; in Terminal:
6) Install the tools (AFAIK this has to be done via Terminal:
7) Profit! 🙂